Thursday, January 22, 2009


When I see something like this in the Cary News, I know the recession has officially come to Western Wake County.

Look at the first image. It's not just the price that screams Discount Bin, it's the kooky lettering, the giant $2, the fact that they didn't use the more sophisticated '$1.99'.

The last time I saw Valu spelled without an 'e' I think I was in a dollar store. The graphics on the second image are deliberately unfancy, purposefully plain to convey the image of thrift.

Morrisville is in a well-yuppized area, an area able to support more than a few upscale local magazines, restaurant chains, boutiques. We were a test market for the McCafe. You can find dentists with memory foam chairs here, spas with nationally-recognized accolades and $150.00 hair colorings.

My grocery bill went up about 30% when I moved to Western Wake county from Durham county. And now, have I finally seen the first hint of recession in Cary/Morrisville/Apex/Holly Springs.

Well, maybe the second hint. The first was probably when a new, state-of-the-art Kroger cried uncle in the grocery store wars last year and closed down.


No comments: