Sunday, December 21, 2008

My oh my. Didn't even say goodbye - Restaurant Business

"Remington Grill on Airport Road is closed," my husband told me last week. I can't imagine where all those business travelers looking for a quick dinner for one will go now. And goodbye to the all you can eat hand-cut french fries.

"Dakota Grill in the Food Lion plaza closed too," he told me yesterday. Now where can I get fries and gravy, and what about all the two-for-one coupons I got in the mail that I hoped to use after Christmas?

Morrisville and Cary are blessed with more restaurants than most towns and I suppose it was only a matter of time before even some of the good ones could no longer hold up.

We went to dinner at NeoChina on Friday night. Arriving at 5:45 on a Friday used to mean you had to wait for a table but the restaurant didn't even fill up by the time we left at 6:30. OK, it was about 60% full, but really, that's still a notable dropoff. For a real barometer I'd like to try making weekend night a reservation at P.F. Changs. Normally you have to call a day before if you want to eat there on a Friday or Saturday night.

On the positive side, Perkins was hectic as usual for breakfast on Sunday. (No, we aren't eat-out aholics, the power in our neighborhood went out on Sunday morning.)

And here's another positive note about restaurant business in the Raleigh area. I found out while researching this blog entry that Remington Grill didn't go bye-bye. It's just moving to Davis and McCrimmon.

No comments: